Naeem Zamindar, CEO Wateen Telecom Email to Wateen Employees
We have worked very hard to stabilize Wateen over the last year. We’ve seen many of our friends move on after the restructuring. The structural change in business – the Line of Business model – has brought in a great many efficiencies in the business. Culturally, we’ve gone from being a closed and dictatorial culture to a much more open, relaxed and dynamic company where people now speak up, ask questions and expect answers. The fire that destroyed our head office was a huge setback but we have bounced back and continued to make progress. We’ve achieved significant progress by reducing our costs and improving our margins. Our LDI business has moved up to number 2 in the country and overall the company is on its way to becoming more stable.
Every department has worked together to make 2012 a success! Some of the big highlights for calendar year 2012 were:
· Wateen topped PTA’s QoS for Wireless Broadband Services
· Won the Consumer Choice Award in the Internet Category
· Won the Pakistan Advertisers Society award for the best marketing campaign in the internet category
· After a 3 years break we had our annual employee appraisals implemented through the Performance Elevation System
· Created the Organizational Development function and began company-wide trainings for employees
· Wateen carried over 300 million minutes of traffic in September to set an all-time record for international traffic before setting up of ICH.
· Wateen is the only operator that has been able to get Mobilink, Ufone, Zong, Telenor and Warid to become its customer’s for outbound international traffic.
· Built out over 1000 km of fiber optic network
· Completed USF projects in Baluchistan and Sind and HEC Metro project connecting some 43 universities nationwide
· Connected with Afghanistan from Torkham and Chaman – significant commercial opportunities have been developed and are being explored
· Redefining enterprise service parameters within Wateen by the successful setup of the Enterprise Network Operations Centre (ENOC), with a special focus on providing a better more positive response to enterprise customers.
· Major enterprise customer wins at organizations like Telenor, CM Pak, Warid, PTCL, Bank Al-islami, Allied Bank, Sind Bank, SECP and many more
· Successful development and deployment of Enterprise Billing System and Campaign Management System
· Started turning around DHA Lahore cable TV operations – increased revenues by approximately 80%
· Signed a strategic partnership with Inov8 Limited and worked with them to successfully roll-out TimePey, a m-commerce and branchless banking initiative of Askari Bank and Zong (CMPAK). Wateen and Inov8 through this partnership are positioned to become the leading technology enablers for mobile financial services.
· Wimax business model and operations overhauled to reduce costs, improve service and make it viable.
· Outsourced inbound call center for significant cost reduction
· Successfully rolled out WiFi hotspots covering all major airports, restaurants & hospitals nationwide. Contract for WiFi service provisioning in major educational institutions awarded to Wateen by the Government of Punjab
· Our cable TV feed is now viewed by around 700k households in Lahore, Karachi and Islamabad.
“Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success” Henry Ford
The Board of Directors has greatly appreciated our efforts over the past year. They want to extend their appreciation to each and every employee that has helped bring the organization to this point. I would also like to extend my gratitude to every single team member. As a token of appreciation we are presenting a Bonus Plan for all employees for the FY13, to the Board for approval. Since they are happy with our progress and they can see that we are on track to make the company successful, I am very hopeful that they will consider the request very seriously. Once we have a final approval, the good news will be shared with everyone.
This will be a token appreciation for everything that we have worked hard for! The greater appreciation will be the quality of organization we are building. However, it will raise everyone’s morale and help to pave the way for bigger wins in the future! I look forward to communicating with you again shortly!