Lahore High Court (LHC) Ordered to Extend PTCL VSS Scheme Last Date till September 27, 2012, Issue notices to the Respondents for 14.09.2012 for next hearing of the case
IN THE HIGH COURT OF LAHORE, AT LAHORE
W.P.No. of 2012
1. Pakistan Telecom Employees Union
(Collective Bargaining Agent)
Through its Secretary General namely
Mr. Hassan Muhammad Rana son of Muhammad Islam, Muslim, adult, having its office at E-13, P&T Colony, Multan Road, Lahore.
1. Federation of Pakistan, through Secretary, Ministry of IT, Central Secretariat, Constitution Avenue, Islamabad.
2. Ministry of Labor and Man-power through Federal Secretary, Central Secretariat, Evacuee Trust Building, Constitution Avenue, Islamabad.
3. Government of Punjab, through Secretary, Directorate of Labour, Civil Secretariat Lower Mall, Lahore.
4. Pakistan Telecommunication Company Ltd, through its President/CEO, PTCL Headquarters, G-8/4, Islamabad,
CONSTITUTION PETITION UNDER ARTICLE 199 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF PAKISTAN, 1973.
i ) This Writ Petition challenges discriminatory, unconstitutional and compulsory voluntary separation scheme (VSS) launched on 26/07/2012 by Respondent No. 4 (PTCL).
IN THE LAHORE HIGH COURT, LAHORE
Pakistan Telecom Employees Union
Federation of Pakistan, etc
Order with signature of Judge, and that of parties or counsel, where necessary
Ch. M. Awais Zafar and Mr. Azeem Naqvi,
Advocates, for the Petitioner.
Mr. Muzaffar Iqbal, Manager Legal, PTCL.
Contends that voluntary separation scheme (VSS) introduced by the Respondent No.l is contrary to law inter alia on the following grounds:-
i) It is discriminatory because it is only targeting the employees of T&T department.
ii) It is coercive in nature for those employees, who are not accepting the same being employees of surplus pool.
iii) The reasons for introducing the scheme have not been explained. However, the Respondents are stated that some efforts arc being made as such it is not visible for the company itself.
2. Issue notice to the Respondents for 14.09.2012 with a direction to file reply to this petition before the next date of hearing. Mr. Muzaffar Iqbal, Manager Legal, PTCL present in Court accepts notice on behalf of Respondent No.4, therefore, there is no need to issue notice to Respondent No.4.
C.M.No.1 of 2012.
According to learned counsel, last date for accepting voluntary separation scheme (VSS) is 30th August, 2012. In order to safeguard the rights of the Petitioner, the Respondents especially Respondent No.4 is directed to extent the last date for accepting the scheme to 27.09.2012 with immediate effect. In the meanwhile, the Respondents are directed not to take any adverse action against the Petitioner.
(AYESHA A. MALIK) JUDGE