Home / News / Supreme Court (SC) to Hear Suo Motu Case in Bahria Town Islamabad Car Race Incident Today (Monday, December 13, 2010)

Supreme Court (SC) to Hear Suo Motu Case in Bahria Town Islamabad Car Race Incident Today (Monday, December 13, 2010)

Supreme Court (SC) to Hear Suo Motu Case in Bahria Town Islamabad Car Race Incident Today (Monday, December 13, 2010):

ISLAMABAD: The Supreme Court will start hearing of a suo motu case of car racing accident in Behria Town, wherein five people including a teenager were killed.
Taking suo moto action, the apex court on December 10 issued notices to Inspector General Police, Punjab and Deputy Commissioner, Rawalpindi, to appear before the court on Dec 13 (today) along with preliminary investigation report.
Sources disclosed that in a written letter submitted to the apex court, DCO Rawalpindi Imdad Bosal stated that district administration did not permit the car race.
Despite a request by the family of the teenager boy, who died in the tragic incident, interior ministry gave a safe passage to escape to all the accused who were nominated in the FIR, police sources disclosed.
It has been confirmed by FIA that the name of main accused, son of Malik Riaz, who is patron of the club which organised the race, was not put on ECL. No arrest has so far been made in the case till filing of this report.
According to press note issued by supreme court: “Stately, loss has been caused to the lives of five persons, including a teenager child who along with his family members was present at the site and apparently so far no legal action has been initiated against the responsible persons thus above note be treated as petition under Article 184 (3) of the Constitution and fix it in court on Dec 13”.
At least five people, including three of a family, were killed and two others injured as a car crashed into spectators during a race in Islamabad. Driver of car number 707, Muhammad Majid Khan, who is also the senior manager of a national telecom giant, managed to escape from the scene with minor injuries, said police.
According to police, the car race is held every year without any permission. Rawalpindi DCO Imdad Bosal said the administration did not permit the race, adding that after which, organisers of the race chose the area. Whereas, Islamabad Deputy Commissioner (DC) Aamir Ali reportedly said permission for the race was not sought from the Islamabad administration.
It has been reported that Rawat Police Station SHO has admitted that the race site was in the limits of the police station and two sub-inspectors, one ASI and 10 police constables were deployed at the site.
Atif Sheikh wrote a letter to the DCO office on December 1 seeking permission for the race. On December 2, the DCO’s office asked the Special Branch to present a report on the matter. A report from the DPO office permitted the race, but the report from the Special Branch disallowed it. On December 4, the Rawalpindi DCO office formally banned the race, saying that it could not be allowed. In spite of this, the race was held in the limits of the Rawat Police Station.
Rawalpindi police has started Investigations into the incident.
Police said cases were registered against the driver of the car, Bahria Town management, and the chief organiser of the race, Sheikh Atif, who had managed to escape. The race was allegedly sponsored by a leading telecom company but its spokesperson was not available for comment.

About Tahir Iqbal

PTCL Worker at Switching EWSD Multan Qualification = DAE (electrical) + BS(CS)

One comment

  1. Pingback: Supreme Court (SC) to Hear Suo Motu Case in car race accident | Pakistan Realtor

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *