Suspension of mobile cellular services – Telecom companies suffer Rs 110m losses

Suspension of mobile cellular services – Telecom companies suffer Rs 110m losses

Karachi (DailyTimes / Saturday, November 17, 2012) – Pakistan’s Cellular companies have estimated a loss of nearly Rs 110 million on the suspension of services in two major cities – Karachi and Quetta – lasting for eight hours from 10am to 6pm on Friday, Nov 16, 2012.

Mobile closed and telecom sector

federal government also deprived itself of revenues it could generate from services besides millions of customers faced difficulties in commercial activities in the two cities.

Karachi is the biggest city in the country in terms of population and tele-density constituting around 12 percent of the overall subscribers’ base of 120 million of overall cellular phone companies.

The utility of services is comparatively the highest in Karachi as it’s the economic and commercial hub of the country.

According to the officials of cellular phone companies, subscribers base in Karachi is active and profitable for every company of the sector as the number of post-paid and pre-paid subscribers are higher here than in any other city.

They added that the number of multinational executives, traders and youth, who subscribe to different daily packages of calls, SMS and Internet is the highest in Karachi.

Quetta also has a large subscribers base of nearly 1.5 to 2.0 percent of the overall subscribers base. Being a provincial capital, the communication and use of cellular phone services are immense by the customers for their domestic and commercial needs.

Customers faced problems in their routine lives in the two cities. People having no alternative communication tool such as wireless phone or landline number suffered more hardships due to unavailability of the services for the whole working day.

Customers said that the government should take alternate measures to tighten the security and avert untoward incidents instead of cutting the communication source, which has become the basic necessity.

This was the fourth time when the government banned temporarily the services of mobile phone companies. Previously the services were suspended in August, September and October on the occasion of Eidul Fitr, Love Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) Day and Eidul Azha.

The cell phone operators jointly approached Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) last month and claimed financial loss of Rs 1 billion as per law but no pledge and clue have been shown so far by the authority.Officials of the cellular phone companies said the government measures to restrict cellular services have not proved beneficial as far as security reasons are concerned.

One Comment


  1. ALL PAKISTANI WHO LOVE PAKISTAN SHOULD PREFER TO SECURITY FIRST.

    WE LOVE OUR COUNTRY WE LOVE OUR FAMILIES WE LOVE OUR CHILDREN AND IF WE NEED ALL THIS WE NEED SECURITY AND NO NEED UNREGISTERED SIMS OR NO NEED MOBILES COMPANIES LIKE TO DESTROY OUR YOUTH AND Children… THANK YOU!

Leave a Reply